40K squats

Want to show off a model? Need some conversion tips? Painting advice? Here's the place!

Moderator: The Inquisition

40K squats

Postby Orcsbain » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:35 pm

Hi guys a while ago I mentioned in a post that I have a couple of unreleased 40K squats and that somrtime I det round to posting a piccy of them.

Well some guy on e_bay is selling some of his that he must have got from the studio about the same tim I was visiting , so I have taken the liberty of nicking his piccys to post here as i am too lazy to dig out mine and photo them :roll:
if you want to look at the full listing go here KLICKY

or here KLICKY

I draw you attention to the MASSIVE asking price and also the squat exo armour , which is like a 1 inch high dreadnought and the sheer awsomeness of the squat syber-slayers!

any hoo my ones are

My Fave all time minature

This one aint great BUT IT IS a cyberslayer and so the very idea is outstanding!

And a humble squat brother

hope you like 'em

ttfn
If we aren't meant to eat animals why are they made from meat?

Orcsbain

Re: 40K squats

Postby yjorjorod » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:30 pm

Thats so incredible! Thanks for showing us. Who in his right mind would pay over 600 $ for a couple of models? Youd only get a squad of squats you are not allowed to use. Any GW store manager would eternally ban you from his store if you pull them out in his store. GW denies that squats ever existed!

But I think the minis look kinda cool and I have a liking for the idea behind it. Alas, this idea got abandoned to make the 40k universe more distinct and darker.
yjorjorod

Postby Dracula`s stepfather » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:35 pm

The Exo-armour Squat looks so awesome. :D . Great for a funny dreadnought.
Sleepy Weasel wrote:they'll just fob you of and try to placate you like with the cars & girls or Criti's facially challenged dragons.
Dracula`s stepfather

Postby theunwantedbeing » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:17 pm

Aww chibi space marines ^_^

Dear lord those things are expensive though.....I hope nobody is daft enough to pay the guy such a stupid amount for them.
theunwantedbeing

Postby Orcsbain » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:03 am

I know its outragious isnt it, but i suspect that SOMBODY will pay it ( a fool and his money are easily parted :roll: ) and if GW continue to ignore the squats then that will make them all the more rarer and pricyer!

Either way I aint selling mine........... well meby as a retirement fund :wink:

As for the exo armour i remember pleading with the designer at the time to let me have it, they had just released the new style (now old style :lol:) dreadnoughts and it looked JUST like them but in a tiny version.

Orcsbain

Postby Mads » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:35 pm

These models are older than me! :shock:
Mads
Junior Herald of Birthdays

Postby Border Reiver » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:27 pm

While I love the idea of Squats (and say, using them in a "counts as" army), I don't don't think that I could justify paying that asking price. Although apparently someone has....
I will provide funding and research to develop tactical and strategic weapons covering a full range of needs so my choices are not limited to "hand to hand combat with swords" and "blow up the planet". - Peter Anspach's Evil Overlord List
Border Reiver
Adeptus Mechanicus

Postby Highborn Sycath » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:47 pm

alas, there is a very good reason squats were eaten by tyranids. It was simply a silly Idea!

Any GW store manager would eternally ban you from his store if you pull them out in his store. GW denies that squats ever existed!

what? What kind of games workshop do you go to? No store would ban a customer for using old models.
Highborn Sycath

Postby yjorjorod » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:16 pm

Highborn Sycath wrote:alas, there is a very good reason squats were eaten by tyranids. It was simply a silly Idea!

Any GW store manager would eternally ban you from his store if you pull them out in his store. GW denies that squats ever existed!

what? What kind of games workshop do you go to? No store would ban a customer for using old models.

I dont go to GW.
Maybe GW wouldnt ban you for using old models, but always for using squats. You got banned from the original GW forums when you mentioned the word squat.
yjorjorod

Postby dafruk » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:02 pm

yjorjorod wrote:I dont go to GW.
Maybe GW wouldnt ban you for using old models, but always for using squats. You got banned from the original GW forums when you mentioned the word squat.

Nah they don't mind in the stores, the forums was just because when people talked about squats it always decended into a flame war between people saying they were great, bring them back and people saying they were rubbish, glad they are gone.

I remeber coming across an army of them on the web which someone had made up based on a space marine codex, it was either Salamanders or Dark Angels can't remember which as I've not played 40k since before squats were eliminated.

If anyone is interested in the old models you can still pick them up off Ebay, not exactly cheap, but they come up all the time.
dafruk
Master Painter

Postby Rapahatsutt » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:22 pm

did they have really small dreadnoughts? because i may have had some and confused them with and Ork item as they were what they came with. il see if i have a picture of them and upload it
Rapahatsutt

Postby MDT » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:55 am

They had their own short "Terminators", but not Dreadnoughts as such.

Were I in need of Squats these days, I'd simply throw a little money at Bob Olley, who is still *making* not-Squats. Since the oldest of the GW Squats were Bob's sculpts, you would have to encounter a similarly ancient and sage GW grognard to be outed for fielding non-GW models...
"Normally I kill people for money, but because you are a friend, I will kill you for free."
MDT

Postby theunwantedbeing » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:11 pm

Squats could easily make a comeback as a sort of high tech steampunk type race.
It would just need a reason for them to appear in large enough numbers....
They already are the demiurg(sp?) arent they?
I was always under the impression that GW had those guys so they didnt completely get rid of the squats and they could use them to bring them back into 40k if they wanted to.

Their ships are pretty damn cool at least.
theunwantedbeing

Postby Orcsbain » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:14 am

These models are older than me!

thanks for that chaneller I now feel really old as i have minatures way older than these that I bought new. :(

Rapahatsutt

Squats had exo-armour which was in most respects the same as terminator armour but being as it was for a squat it was about half the height. The new style exo armour one (that I begged for) was the same shape as a marine dreadnought but only about an inch and a half tall! :shock:

Apperantly the reason that the squats were shelved was they couldnt come up with enough ideas to revamp the race compleatly with enough troops to provide a rounded out force.....
which is daft as they were origionally a support for imperial guard as ogryns are (being as they are abhumans).

Oh well at least I know that my minatures are loved and VERY wanted.

ttfn

Orcsbain

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:11 pm

Sitting in my collection are minis that make these look positively spritely....

Personally, I like the old Squats - but I do admit that the Exoarmoured Squats on trikes were ugly minis.
I will provide funding and research to develop tactical and strategic weapons covering a full range of needs so my choices are not limited to "hand to hand combat with swords" and "blow up the planet". - Peter Anspach's Evil Overlord List
Border Reiver
Adeptus Mechanicus

Postby dafruk » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:54 pm

Border Reiver wrote:Sitting in my collection are minis that make these look positively spritely....

Personally, I like the old Squats - but I do admit that the Exoarmoured Squats on trikes were ugly minis.

Seconded! :P

ImageImage
ImageImage
The exo armour is the egg man in the middle, the bike squad being a mix of the original bike types and the updated chunkier ones they released later. The foot troops are the Hearthguard who were champion level characters who were the bodyguard for the warlord.

All these models are ugly as hell to my eyes these days (except maybe the newer bikes) but I have a whole army full of the little guys from back when I was just a gamer and hated painting(yeah it shows in the paint job don't it! :oops: ). They've just been kept in a box with no packaging so they're also totally battered and chipped.

And yes these are definitely older than channeller :!:
dafruk
Master Painter

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:17 pm

Dafruk - if you don't want them I have a shiny twoonie for you.
Border Reiver
Adeptus Mechanicus

Postby dafruk » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:52 am

Border Reiver wrote:Dafruk - if you don't want them I have a shiny twoonie for you.

Sorry, this nest egg ain't going anywhere, except maybe the paint stripper and back of the line for my things to paint. :)
dafruk
Master Painter

Return to The Model Forge